[cumbria_lug] Presenting presenting

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:23:14 BST 2004

Hello trevor,

thdcu> Trevor thinks,
thdcu> Subject for next meeting presentation skills ?

Please, enlighten us...

--
Best regards,
 Ian

Ian,
Giving presentations is now a regular-ish thing for
many people and I have come accross job interview
techniques where employers ask you to give a
five-minute presentation

Most people are both inexperianced and
nervous about presentations

Using OSS to produce materials
(handouts, projector-friendly screens) and
deliver presentations is not hard.
Standing up and delivering a presentation
can be.

I would be willing to do a presentation on
presentation using and leaveraging
the abilitys of linux and OSS.  I would
not suggest doing this at Russ and Jens
BUT either location of Carlisle college or
Whitehaven (Tangier St.) or even Gleaston
Water mill (if it were possible to arrange
a meet there) would be suitable.

Admitedly I would enlist my wifes' help
as she has more experiance than most
in giving presentations and organising meetings.
If I could convince her there
was more to Linux and oss than
installing distros it would be a good thing too.

I will be in Whitehaven over the weekend and
may 'pop in' and talk to Rob.

Oh my god, what have I done ?

Russ, you writed,
>Possibly not one of my better ideas :-) I'm not sure I'm much better at
>presentations. I don't know if I still do this, but once when I was
>explaining a set of rules to a table-full of wargamers, my Yorkshire
>accent apparently suddenly broadened to the point of being
>indecipherable :-)

First of all the armies go on the table, the gamers are suposed to
sit around on chairs. Secondly Wargame rules are idecipherable in
any accent. I have had the joy of figuring out wargame rules.
Perhaps that glazed expresion was due less to your accent and more
to the neo-gobledygook of rules systems like WRG 6th.  Of course
if you did make them sit on the terrain then that wouldn't have helped.

--
Trevor Pearson
trevor -at- haven.demon.co.uk