[cumbria_lug] LUG radio & GPL in court

Russ Phillips avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 21 14:04:33 BST 2004

Just a couple of things that I thought might interest you all:

LUG radio episode 5 (Five men in a scrote) is available:
http://www.lugradio.org/guide.php

The GPL has gone to court (in Germany) and been upheld:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/21/licence_germany/

I was particularly pleased to see the second one. I've read 'the GPL has
never been tested in court' so many times, always with the implication
that it wouldn't stand up in court. I never saw any reason why it
wouldn't stand up in court, but then I'm not a lawyer. But now it's been
to court and been upheld. Huzzah!

A while ago I read a piece by Eben Moglen where he said that the only
reason the GPL had never been tested in court is because the infringers
always knew they'd lose a court case. It seems on this occasion the only
thing the infringers argued about was admitting guilt and what costs
should be paid, not whether or not they were bound by the GPL, or
whether it was enforceable.

Russ