[cumbria_lug] A special thread, just for Trevor...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Thu Apr 22 14:58:26 BST 2004

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk wrote:
 > All others are asking from £99 to £129 per month mark
 > for a server.

UK2 (who I'm currently hosted with, and have had no problems with) do a
dedicated server for £39 per month (£29 over three years) -
http://uk2.net/servers/

 > If we offer hosting to others then we would be better of having
 > a more formal structure than currently exists if for no other
 > reasons than to reassure people that we are not going to disappear
 > after three months and so we can have a single account from which
 > we can pay for a server.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a co-operative (similar
to http://www.hcoop.net/ ).

As for the 'commercial' side of things, I was thinking that they would
obviously put more into the pot to help reduce the costs for others.

 > Who gets to be root ?

Maybe we could auction that? :)

 > Schwuk,
 > I am replying from work and I can only post once each day usually so
 > I tend to reply to all the posts that I feel I have something to
 > say about at the same time. I apologise for any confusion I may cause,
 > but I am a discordian and therefore causing confusion is a religious
practice.

OK, I understand the work bit, but would it be possible for you to reply
in a new thread (as I have done) rather than hi-jacking an existing one?

Of course, maybe it only bothers me...

As for the discordian bit, after a bit of googling, it all seems a bit
pointless IMO. I'm sure you'll put me right though... :)

Cheers,
--
Schwuk - http://www.schwuk.com
Cumbria LUG - http://www.cumbria.lug.org.uk