[cumbria_lug] New distro advice

Ian Linwood ian_linwood_clug at dinwoodie.freeuk.com
Thu Feb 19 23:08:12 GMT 2004

Hello Schwuk,

S> For the record - I've (currently) given up on Linux for the desktop

I have to concur, this seems a must for professionals  :-(

When you NEED to work with and support a heterogeneous environment
this is the only environment that allows MS and the rest of the world
to co-exist.

A lot of work is done in a cygwin environment but when you need to
work with MS, an MS OS is the only way.

S> after all, Windows is essentially 'free'

Eek! NOT IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD! wash your mouth out.

We ALL suffer a windows tax when we buy from a major distributor. Free
and in "paid for in the cost of the box". Volume discounts to Dell,
HP, et al does not make it free. The real cost is the follow up,
restrictions in use, tie ins, maintenance, security weaknesses, and
exorbitant cost of *required* software (office being a prime example).

Have you really been listening?

As for running Linux on all your servers, I'm strongly considering
going entirely Solaris x86. I'll probably wait to see what v10 brings
(hopefully a calming down of resource requirements over v9) My systems
have never been as stable since I returned to Linux. The 2.6.2 kernel,
although slick, speed wise, has the same SMP hang ups (literally).

--
Best regards,
 Ian