[cumbria_lug] New distro advice

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Fri Feb 20 00:26:00 GMT 2004

Ian Linwood wrote:
> A lot of work is done in a cygwin environment but when you need to
> work with MS, an MS OS is the only way.

Yes, having access to the GNU toolset (I prefer unxutils -
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ - over cygwin for everyday use)

> Eek! NOT IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD! wash your mouth out.

Taken in context: "Windows is essentially 'free' (i.e. it comes with the
hardware)" - I meant the purchase cost of MS Windows is essentially
transparent to the user. Microsoft's much touted Total Cost of Ownership
(TCO) is far higher when you take into account the surrounding
infrastructure required to operate in a controlled/enterprise
environment, hence my commments about "Replacing all those Windows
servers with Samba/Apache etc. scares MS far more than losing desktops
due to the loss of the (artifically) high licensing fees". Go ask any
'normal' user how much Windows is, and the majority will say "free" or
"it came with the hardware".

> Have you really been listening?

Do you really want an answer?

Besides, it woke you up, didn't it? :D