[cumbria_lug] Jen's Debian

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 23:26:59 GMT 2004

 Russ Phillips <russ at phillipsuk.org> writes
>Hi,
>
>We have another request for Trevor. Jen has had to re-install her Debian, and
>we can't get X working.
>
>Trevor, can you tell us what you did when you got it to work? Jen says the two
>of you tried all sorts, then you did something quick (& easy?), and it
>automagically fixed X. Jen was browsing Google when you fixed it, so she has
>no idea what you did.
>
>Russ

Assuming you have got 'X' installed but it is not starting up and you
see a message telling you so.
Go to /usr/bin/X11  (capital X)
run XF86config by typing ./XF86Config
then you need to answer lots of questions e.g. keyboard 104 key English
British layout, ps2 mouse on /dev/psaux select a monitor (if your
monitor is in the list or Generic non-interlaced SVGA @ 1024x 768 (Safe
bet) also pick your graphics card from the list.  If you don't know any
answers to the
questions post the question to the list

this will produce a file called /etc/X11/XF86config
You will need to cd /etc/X11
and edit (using vi/emacs/pico/joe/jedit .......) the file look for a
line that says
       Driver "nv" and change the 'nv' to 'vesa'  (safe option, once 'X'
is working we can upgrade to nvidia driver)

save and then type
'cp XF86config XF86Config-4
since the generated config file has the wrong name for the version of
'X' with Debian.

Try startx

If you don't have any screens or 'x' crashes with a cryptic warning make
sure either 'gnome' or 'KDE' are installed  ('x' is not fun without a
desktop or window manager which appears to be Debians idea of a desktop
instal!)

*--- Sorry I've been networking the computers in the house and have not
been on-line so I didn't pick up your earlier message.  I can't find
players at that short notice sorry.  I'll make the SASRA club aware of
whats going on and we can build links... our AGM is in a couple of weeks
!

Routing can be fun
DNS is as long as you know the address of your up-stream server

--
Trevor 'X' Pearson
trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Emergency phone 01900 62373