[cumbria_lug] Jen's Debian

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Sun Feb 29 23:21:07 GMT 2004

On Saturday 28 February 2004 23:26, Trevor Pearson wrote:
<SNIP>
> If you don't have any screens or 'x' crashes with a cryptic warning make
> sure either 'gnome' or 'KDE' are installed  ('x' is not fun without a
> desktop or window manager which appears to be Debians idea of a desktop
> instal!)

We can now report success!

We have spent quite some time this evening trying various things, searching
for various X error messages on Google, etc. I looked on Debian's web site
for information, and discovered these two scripts, which almost got it
working:

dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low xserver-common
dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low xserver-xfree86

After running those, we had a *different* error. For reference, some of the
things we had to do to get it working:

Change default screen depth to 16 (it was 24)
Commented out the second mouse(!)
Commented out some font directories
Turned DPMI off

> *--- Sorry I've been networking the computers in the house and have not
> been on-line so I didn't pick up your earlier message.  I can't find
> players at that short notice sorry.  I'll make the SASRA club aware of
> whats going on and we can build links... our AGM is in a couple of weeks

Oh, well. We only posted that cry for help in a desperate, last-minute,
attempt to get some players. We didn't really expect you to be able to
help :-)

Russ