[cumbria_lug] Meeting on Friday

Russ avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 6 20:31:23 BST 2004

I note that we have a meeting scheduled at our house on Friday, and so
far only Oran has said that he's likely to be here. Is anyone else
planning to come?

Also, we've had an idea, which we'd like to discuss with people on
Friday. Jen's dad is a scout leader, and is always looking for something
to do with the beavers/cubs/scouts. We thought we could give them a talk
on FOSS, and finish it by giving out OpenCDs [1] and donating a computer
running Linux (at the virtual meet, Piggz said he had at least one old
PC that we could have). When you think about it, the ideals of the FOSS
movement gel pretty well with the ideals of the scouting movement.

The scouts already have a Windows box, and one of the leaders always
takes his laptop along, so a Linux box is likely to get ignored unless
it can do something that the Windows boxes can't. We need a "killer app"
for it. We thought that Tux Paint [2] might fit the bill for the younger
ones. Does anyone have any other ideas? It'll be a low-end box, and we
were thinking of using fvwm95 as the window manager, since it's
lightweight and will look familiar.

Russ

[1] http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/
[2] http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/