[cumbria_lug] Meeting on Friday

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 22:20:24 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 20:31, Russ wrote:
> I note that we have a meeting scheduled at our house on Friday, and so
> far only Oran has said that he's likely to be here. Is anyone else
> planning to come?

I'm always planning. Yes I'll be there I have permision,

> Also, we've had an idea, which we'd like to discuss with people on
> Friday. Jen's dad is a scout leader, and is always looking for something
> to do with the beavers/cubs/scouts. We thought we could give them a talk
> on FOSS, and finish it by giving out OpenCDs [1] and donating a computer
> running Linux (at the virtual meet, Piggz said he had at least one old
> PC that we could have). When you think about it, the ideals of the FOSS
> movement gel pretty well with the ideals of the scouting movement.

I've an old, old box that I got at SRI i've upgraded it and would
happily donate it running linux.  I would be happy to support this.
Giving out disks might not be a good idea as someone could go home, run
the installer (which we know is not the most user friendly piece of
software) and wipe somebodys data which may not make us popular.
I would be happy if the p.c. belonged to the scout of course.

> The scouts already have a Windows box, and one of the leaders always
> takes his laptop along, so a Linux box is likely to get ignored unless
> it can do something that the Windows boxes can't. We need a "killer app"
> for it. We thought that Tux Paint [2] might fit the bill for the younger
> ones. Does anyone have any other ideas? It'll be a low-end box, and we
> were thinking of using fvwm95 as the window manager, since it's
> lightweight and will look familiar.

I don't know much about 'scouting' do they do a 'computer use' badge ?
How about using linux to learn about computers/internet and the FOSS
movement? Plus a couple of games some office software and I have a
hub so we could also network the aforementioned offending items.

Would the scouts be interested in having a number of sessions
introducing such things as 'how to write a web page', 'How to use
e-mail' or other I.T. skills ?

Trev,
trevor at haven.demon.co.uk