[cumbria_lug] Meeting on Friday

Russ avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 6 23:07:04 BST 2004

Jen Phillips wrote:
> They actually have a several-stage badge, designed to be followed throughout
> the Scouting career. The lowest level involves such things as turning a PC on
> and off safely, and is designed with Beavers (6 yr olds) in mind. Dad is
> planning on starting the Scouts (12 yr olds) on Level 3, which includes
> writing letters, simple spreadsheets, showing understanding of the Web, etc.
> I think it goes as high as level 5, and specifies that all work should be
> done on the scout's "choice of software" :-)
>
> We've got all the official blurb, if anyone wants to look through it on
> Friday.

If you can't wait that long, it's on the web at:
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/badges/staged-it-pr.htm

>>Would the scouts be interested in having a number of sessions
>>introducing such things as 'how to write a web page', 'How to use
>>e-mail' or other I.T. skills ?
>

> I'm sure they would. As Russ said, they're always looking for things to do

Using e-mail and writing web pages are some of the things they need to
do to get some of the badges. There is no phone line at the scout hut,
though, so it's highly unlikely that they'll ever get Internet access at
the hut. Of course, that doesn't have to stop them using the Linux box
to write web pages.

One of the things we discussed with Jen's dad was that we might be able
to offer to do the testing for the badges. To be a tester for a badge,
you just have to know the subject and turn up for them to show you that
they've done what is required.

Russ