[cumbria_lug] Starter for ten...

guy.murray at boltblue.com guy.murray at boltblue.com
Thu Jun 10 23:02:14 BST 2004

Hi,
   here is a little teaser for you all.

On writing a web page using Bluefish I typed in a '£' sign and was curious to
note that Mozilla Thunderbird displayed it as '£'. The same appeared when
viewing source. I shrugged my shoulders and uploaded it, suspecting a problem
with Thunderbird.

Later someone, presumably using M$ IE, noticed the same thing.

I opened the file on my ISP's control panel editor, found the '£' sitting in
the html file, deleted the extraneous character and the web page displayed
correctly.

Now suspecting Bluefish, I tried it with Gedit and vi, but the same thing happens.

What is my ISP's control panel editor seeing which my RH 9/Gnome editors aren't?

Any ideas?