[cumbria_lug] DSL and Moving up to Penrith

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Wed Oct 13 19:04:18 BST 2004

Angie Ahl wrote:

> Penrith) in just under a fortnight. I wanted to make sure you don't bite
> before I present myself ;)

We only bite if you ask nicely ;-)

> We were on the DSL trial in London 6 years ago so I could really tell
> you some stories about that... BT were just that bit worse than you
> think even they could be, but they've learnt a lot since then
> thankfully.

We had a lot of trouble when we moved house. The new house is very close
to the hospital, and the filter that stops the ambulance radio messing
with the phone messed with the ADSL. Apparently the tests that they do
to make sure you're OK for ADSL don't include checking such things.

> So I was wondering how you guys (including fellow females;) are finding
> broadband up there. The Askham exchange isn't enabled until 10th Nov so
> we're going to have 3 weeks on a modem (It'll do me good I'm sure,
> there's those mountains out back). has the roll out been good up there
> so far? Are BT being prompt at getting the exchanges online and people
> switched on?

The only problems we've had were associated with the house move, when we
moved close to the hospital. Other than that, it's been OK.

> Anyway sorry to go on. I'm a bit excited, or is that nervous ;)

Don't worry about it. You've sparked some talk on the mailing list,
which is both a Good Thing and no mean feat :-)

Russ