[cumbria_lug] Ideas for meetings...

Russ Phillips avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 14 20:17:50 BST 2004

Schwuk wrote:

> How about a "show and tell" style evening - people who have a pet
> project (e.g. You with Kexi/Amarok, Russ with InsTar/OOo Macros, me with
> Mono) get a set amount of time to present it to the others.

I like the "show & tell" idea. Also, Jen & I had a talk about this
earlier, and we thought of something. I've been thinking about
re-vamping the OOoMacros site for some time. If enough people are PHP
coders, we could have an evening where we do that. Different people
could take different sections, and if it doesn't get finished, I could
finish it. People that aren't coders could help with testing,
suggestions, etc. My main problem at the moment is how best to split the
macros up.

I also thought that if we did that, I could write a press release for
the likes of NewsForge, which would promote the LUG and OOoMacros.
Something along the lines of "Cumbria LUG Re-Writes OOoMacros Web Site"

> Also, there are now a new bunch on students in the county at the various
> colleges and uni campuses - I know there are no real computer courses
> (apart from Carlisle College and possibly West Cumbria), but is there
> someway we could 'target' them to let them know about the LUG and FOSS
> in general?

Probably too late for freshers fairs. But, if the computing lecturers
are FOSS-friendly (mine were - my first experience of Linux was at uni,
and one wore a different Linux t-shirt for each lecture) then they might
be willing to mention us to their classes.

Russ