[cumbria_lug] Bespoke software job

Ian Linwood ian_linwood_clug at dinwoodie.freeuk.com
Wed Aug 31 20:57:40 BST 2005

> Go on then, what's so great about OpenBSD.

Mmm, something tells me I'm going to regret this...

Pros
----
1. Security - default applications are audited/fixed for their releases
2. Stability - not rush to include latest bleeding edge releases of apps
3. Light on hardware resources.
4. Steady 6 month release cycle - no dodgy kernel version every week  :-(

5. A very knowledgeable user community.
6. Hardware support very good.
7. WiFi support excellent.
8. this list is actually much longer.....

Cons
----
1. Not for noobies
2. You _need_ to RTFM before asking in newsgroups or you'll be shot down
in flames (elitist bunch).
3. Although there is an extensive list of packaged applications, you
often have to compile apps from source (usually not a problem).
4. Artwork on production CDs is awfully amateurish and usually shows a
cartoon of a fish (a Blowfish) characterised in some geeky fashion.