[cumbria_lug] Dynamic Updates in BIND 9 Serving XP and 2003 Server

Malcolm Logan malcolm.logan at stl.org
Thu Dec 29 13:11:14 GMT 2005

Hello All,

I'm desperate :(

I've just set up BIND 9 on fedora to serve our XP/2003 network as we are
having several replication issues and want to ditch the seemingly flaky
2003 DNS services.

Anyway, I've followed Cricket Liu's recipe in the DNS and Bind Cookbook
and BIND starts fine. I can do the usual queries etc from an XP client
but only for static entries to the zone files. I have acl's defined in
the named.conf file and have added these to the zones I want to be able
to update.

Restarted the named server and pointed an XP client at it then restarted
the client. I can see no evidence of any dynamic updates happening. Cant
'nslookup client_host_name' from the client, cant see any '.jnl' files
appearing on the DNS server (these are the files that hold the dynamic
updates).

The ultimate AIM is to switch off winDNS and use BIND. I desperately
need the dynamic bit to work though as the Domain Controllers use
dynamic DNS to 'announce' the services they are hosting.

I wanted to set this up over the holiday period so it was ready when
everyone arrives back at work... boohoo.

Has anybody successfully implemented a BIND 9 server providing DNS for a
win XP/Server 2003 domain? If so could you get in touch - I'd really
appreciate some input from someone who already has this working.

Malcolm