[cumbria_lug] Do LUGs still matter?

Jen Phillips jen at phillipsuk.org
Sat Dec 31 10:16:04 GMT 2005

Apart from all the more serious stuff like support and advocacy, there's a lot to be said for a ready-made bunch of mates you can sit and eat pizza with, especially if you can also talk about stuff that you're interested in and they actually *understand* rather than giving you blank looks.

LUGs are also a pretty good introduction to the Linux/FLOSS community, and will hopefully be a useful and fun intoduction to the local area when we get moved. A bit of browsing, and I found info on how and where to sign up to several LUG lists not too far from Stoke, and we'll be watching out for meetings, so we'll at least know *somebody* in the area. Any kind of community or group that doesn't have any geographic basis can't provide that, and can't meet up for beer/pizza/curry/whatever without serious planning and travel expenses.

Hugs,

Jen