[cumbria_lug] Introduction

Keith Abraham keith at keithabrahm.port995.com
Wed Feb 1 02:10:01 GMT 2006

Roger Cope wrote:

>Keith,
>
>Welcome! I moved to Whitehaven from Exeter in 1991 and have never regretted
>it, though after all these years on the West Coast I am now preparing to a
>move to Carlisle.

Hi Roger. Nice to hear from someone from my home town. I lived in Hevitree
until my family moved to Plymouth when I was eight. I've never liked
Plymouth
and still consider Exeter my true home. That said I find Cumbria a fine
place
to live and the people are very friendly and hospitable. The wife and I are
very happy here.

>Even when I was there the cities of Exeter and Plymouth made Carlisle seem
>rather small (despite Exeter and Carlisle being much of a size). Nowadays,
>with big high tech concerns like the Weather bureau moved in and having two
>large universities, I think Cumbria is some way below Devon as a hotbed of
>techie talent!
>
>Roger

Agreed, although Cornwall also has a large contingent. Reading the Cumbria
archives shows that techie talent exists up here it just appears to me
that the
general GNULinux user base is a lot smaller than I would have expected even
considering the larger populations of Devon & Cornwall. But the user base
will expand I am certain of it.

Keith