[cumbria_lug] Video editing...

Steve Turner Steve at fadges.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 21:14:04 GMT 2006

angie ahl wrote:
> I wonder how hard it would be to get Apples Final Cut Pro running on
> linux. Both Unix Based and now apples switching over to Intel it should
> be even more possible... Maybe

Could be fun finding out.

> FCP is far better than Adobes Premier IMHO. I've spent *far* too much
> time video editing in the past and my fave used to be Avid before FCP
> came out.

Avid have 'free' version hanging about at the moment, but it wants to
jump back to the net to do a registration when you first start it, and
for whatever it just don't work for me..  Guess I'm lucky  :-(

> Of course neither Premier of FCP is cheap. iMovies not bad either. I'll
> have to have a look at the Linux options. Didn't realise there was video
> editing stuff.

I was looking more at the FOS stuff, trying to avoid the cost of
Premier, even though I've used it before, and it did most of what I needed.

>> How appropriate... I've just been doing the same myself. I've been
>> playing with Kino (although not in depth), but the machine I was using
>> just isn't fast enough. My beefier machine currently only has XP Pro
>> on it, so I've been dabbling with Premiere (both Elements and Pro) and
>> Encore DVD just to "get the job done". Once I've done that I'm
>> planning on wiping the machine, putting Linux on and repeating the
>> whole capture/edit/burn process to see how the Free alternatives stack
>> up. I've no doubt a lot of good stuff is done with the Free ones, but
>> I can easily see why so many people say Adobe's software is the best
>> (at least for Windows), however I've found myself working around
>> limitations & strange behaviour in all of them.

I'll probably have a look at Kino, I think my machine is probably up to
the challenge, and just from the specs and sshots, I can probably have
some fun with it as well  :-)

>> Of course the whole exercise almost got blown out of the water
>> yesterday when I found a new Intel-based iMac 2GHz tucked under the
>> shelf in PCWorld. Don't need one. Don't need one.

Tut Tut...  just keep repeating the mantra...  lol