[cumbria_lug] Introduction

Russ Phillips russlug at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:26:46 GMT 2006

On 28/01/06, Keith Abraham <keith at keithabrahm.port995.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
>    I've just moved (16 Dec) to Flimby near Maryport from Plymouth
> in Devon and thought I'd introduce myself.

Welcome. As Jen said, we're in the process of moving (I'm writing this
from Stoke, and Jen will be joining me down here once we've sold the
house). However, I don't intend to leave the mailing list.

> For those that are interested the only application I really miss
> is Steinberg's Cubase.

As Jen said, LUG Radio are in the process of writing a Cubase
replacement. The wiki page is probably the best page for information:
http://wiki.lugradio.org/index.php/JonoEdit

>     I was somewhat surprised to how little activity there is in the

I get the impression that LUGs vary a lot. Staffs LUG seems to be
similar to Cumbria, and probably for similar reasons - it's a large,
sparsely populated county. Manchester LUG seems to be more active.

>     In my experience increasing the GNU/Linux user base is never easy but
> I would suggest that something needs to be done in the Cumbrian area.
> The only converts I have ever achieved have come from providing copies
> of Live CDs (eg.Knoppix) especially when the popular press reports on
> the lack of Internet security. It seems that most people now use their PC
> mainly for surfing and online shopping and are persuaded to move to
> applications which are promoted as offering greater security eg Firefox
> as opposed MS Internet Explorer.  Those who have switched to such
> applications can often be persuaded of the inherent security of Linux and
> use it for accessing the Internet. Getting GNU/Linux on their machines
> is all I can do. The rest I leave up to them.

I still think Ubuntu CDs are the way to go here - the CD packs that
they send out have a live CD and an install CD. The live CD includes a
bunch of open source Windows programs (like Firefox, Thunderbird,
OpenOffice.org etc), which is a bonus.

Russ