[cumbria_lug] Introduction

Keith Abraham keith at keithabrahm.port995.com
Mon Jan 30 02:07:56 GMT 2006

Russ Phillips wrote:

>On 28/01/06, Keith Abraham <keith at keithabrahm.port995.com> wrote:
>

>>For those that are interested the only application I really miss
>>is Steinberg's Cubase.
>>

>As Jen said, LUG Radio are in the process of writing a Cubase
>replacement. The wiki page is probably the best page for information:
>http://wiki.lugradio.org/index.php/JonoEdit

JonoEdit is certainly an app to keep an eye on. I like the idea of
rethinking the interface.

The main asset of Cubase as far as I am concerned is it's abilty to
print scores. My brother composes "serious" music ie. not pop and
we used Cubase to compose and print the scores. As we are both
musicians (he has the talent) we enjoyed the cooperative
experience of tidying up the scores and printing them.

In this respect Rosegarden is the closest I have seen to Cubase.
Until recently Rosegarden was a bit flakey but it seems to be
maturing nicely. So hopefully I can soon help my brother again
(albeit at a distance as he lives in Plymouth). Incidently one of the
DCLUG subscribers is/was part of the coding team for Rosegarden.

>>    I was somewhat surprised to how little activity there is
>>

>I get the impression that LUGs vary a lot. Staffs LUG seems to be
>similar to Cumbria, and probably for similar reasons - it's a large,
>sparsely populated county. Manchester LUG seems to be more active.
>

>>    In my experience increasing the GNU/Linux user base is never easy
>>

>I still think Ubuntu CDs are the way to go here - the CD packs that
>they send out have a live CD and an install CD. The live CD includes a
>bunch of open source Windows programs (like Firefox, Thunderbird,
>OpenOffice.org etc), which is a bonus.
>
>Russ

I still prefer Knoppix and especially Kanotix as their CD's operate as a
live CD and include all the above plus an installer which can be invoked
from the Live CD's desktop. I usually burn them myself and hand them
out to anyone who shows an interest in Linux. If I can I try a friendy
check up at a later date to see how they got on. In my experience if
someone doesn't show an interest in Linux then handing out CDs via
willing computer shops etc is a waste.

Keith