[cumbria_lug] SMTP server

Dave Murphy (Schwuk) dave at schwuk.com
Sun Jun 4 12:55:37 BST 2006

Malcolm Logan wrote:
> As part of some new mixed (windows and linux) networks I want to include
> an outbound smtp server. This would only be for sending mail out of the
> network not receiving mail. Can anyone recommend a way of doing this? I
> have no experience setting up sendmail or qmail but I do have experience
> of operating and maintaining qmail.

Personally I prefer Postfix, but everyone has their personal preferences. :)

Although I can't give you specific instructions, this should be fairly
straightforward to do. You can configure your MTA to only accept
connections from your local network - you could also require SMTP-AUTH
or SSL/TLS if you want to be really strict. I would also configure it to
  relay all mail via an upstream server (this is referred to as
smarthost) instead of sending it itself - this would prevent you from
having to open it (too much) to the outside world.

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy - http://www.schwuk.com