[cumbria_lug] SMTP server

Malcolm Logan malcolm.logan at stl.org
Mon Jun 5 08:29:52 BST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: cumbria-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:cumbria-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Dave Murphy
(Schwuk)
Sent: 04 June 2006 12:55
To: Cumbria LUG
Subject: Re: [cumbria_lug] SMTP server

Malcolm Logan wrote:
> As part of some new mixed (windows and linux) networks I want to
include
> an outbound smtp server. This would only be for sending mail out of
the
> network not receiving mail. Can anyone recommend a way of doing this?
> have no experience setting up sendmail or qmail but I do have
experience
> of operating and maintaining qmail.

Personally I prefer Postfix, but everyone has their personal
preferences. :)

Although I can't give you specific instructions, this should be fairly
straightforward to do. You can configure your MTA to only accept
connections from your local network - you could also require SMTP-AUTH
or SSL/TLS if you want to be really strict. I would also configure it to

  relay all mail via an upstream server (this is referred to as
smarthost) instead of sending it itself - this would prevent you from
having to open it (too much) to the outside world.

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy - http://www.schwuk.com

Thanks Dave,

I was just looking for some methods people had used. Its my first mail
server install and its an integral part of the topology of these new
networks I've promised my employer. I had a crack at the weekend and
I've just registered the machine with our ISP to allow mail relaying.
I'll let you how I get on!