[cumbria_lug] Perl or Python: a challenge

Rosalind Mitchell rcmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:25:08 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 07:58, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:58:16 Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 March 2007 09:39, Luke Antins wrote:
> > > It's nice learning a new language... no only do you gain a new
> > > skill but you also (or at-least I find) get a better understanding
> > > of coding in general some of the things you learn you can move over
> > > into your other languages too.
> >
> > Oh bugger - now I've gone back to my Perl work after my excursion
> > into Ruby I keep leaving off the semicolons...
>
> LOL - I have been wondering whether this is a good or bad thing about
> Ruby. I've been looking for the best choice for teaching kids to
> program. Python has the advantage of being more readily available on
> mobile telephones, of course. :-)

But I can't think of a good song to go with Python.  Except, perhaps, the one
about transvestite lumberjacks, which doesn't feel quite right.

When I was learning to use Perl I kept hearing Elkie Brooks in my
head - "Perl's a singer, she stands up when she plays the piano."  Playing
with Ruby it was the creamy tones of Donald Fagen singing "Ruby Ruby when
will you be mine?"

Am I uniquely bonkers, or do others have a soundtrack to their favourite
language or application?

Contributions to the Linux Songbook?

Rosie