[cumbria_lug] internet cafe - Windermere

David Priestley stig-clug at spodbox.org
Thu May 29 11:34:11 BST 2008

Pat McVey wrote:
> I've been asked by a organisation in the Windermere area about setting
> up an internet access point with public access.
>
> This is a charity (or will be - charitable status pending).
>
> Anyone with experience in using Linux for this?
>
> Advice or offers of help welcome.

Hi,
Are they wanting to restrict access?
eg. Limit the time the users are allowed to connect to only what they
pay for, or will it just be an open access point?

First thing is a firewall & proxy - I use IPCop - so you can stop all
the nefarious use of the link (eg. downloading stuff they shouldn't,
leaching your bandwidth for P2P stuff, etc) and then any wireless router
would do - so pick one you're happy with.

I used to provide wireless to Barrow Market until some of the stalls got
their own broadband installed - and thats what I used while it was in
place - without totally bolted down access.

I'm in Barrow if you need help or a look at the setup.

DP