[cumbria_lug] To Python, or not to Python?

Luke Antins lantins at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:42:58 UTC 2009

I know a lot of people seem to come to Ruby through Rails.
It was definitely something that first pulled me in.
I love the idea behind it all, but I never actually finished a project
in Rails.
The framework ended up causing me more issues then saving me time in the
end.

But, even after deciding not to ride the rails I still liked the look of
Ruby as a language its self, so stuck with it.

At the moment I'm doing my web based stuff using a mix of Ruby + Rack
(1) + Sinatra (2), I feel this
lets me program in RUBY to code my websites, and not some large framework.

Right now I'm tinkering with a socket application I've wrote (to talk my
$dayjobs bespoke wire protocol) using
EventMachine (3) and exposing its functionality using a web based REST
API (built using Sinatra).

The thing I really love, is the documentation thats available, some
times you need to dig down into the source
for a good example, but its all good!

I see you've not had too much luck with the Rails community Dave? I
can't comment on that myself as I never really 'took part'
in it, but the generally Ruby one is so crazy helpful its unbelievable,
especially with things like GitHub knocking around!

Luke

(1) http://rack.rubyforge.org/
(2) http://www.sinatrarb.com/
(3) http://rubyeventmachine.com/