[cumbria_lug] To Python, or not to Python?

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 16:34:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've missed all this excitement on the mailing list as I've just put a
new box together, the old one had started developing a slight stability
issue. So I've just completed doing the data transfer....

Anyway, I guess that the only sensible thing to say in reply to Rosie's
question is yes Python, why not ?

Hell there are a bucket load of alternatives too with a wide assortment
of names lua, boo and the like.  You can get more languages than you can
shake a stick at these days.  I love learning a new one every now and
again, D is next on my list.

Is there really a need for all these languages ?  could we just settle
for having a couple, you know, one for quick scripts, one for longer and
more complicated scripts and a heavy-duty compiled behemoth for the
'big' jobs?

Hmmm, no sig, no pgp, guess I better finish setting this box up

Trevor.