[cumbria_lug] Ubuntu 9.04 -> 9.10 upgrade failure warning

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 09:23:14 UTC 2009

> I did this in a VM recently without issue. I was amazed how well it
> went. The main issue with upgrades is the 3rd party apps you have, the
> more you have the more likely you end up borked.

It's just a word of caution really to make sure you're prepared should the worse happen.
As it was I had only recently installed 9.04 so it should have been a fairly clean upgrade.
I've just come from doing a lot of work on OpenVMS systems and *every* install and upgrade
is clearly labelled *make sure you have backed up everything*.
It is a little disappointing, and there doesn't appear to be a solution as of yet.

Here is a post with the symptoms:

http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298131

Some people have had success booting into the rescue environment and continuing
the install using apt-get dist-upgrade, but this didn't work for me. I hasten to
add that the disk was still perfectly readable, and with enough time probably could be
brought back to bootable, but really, I don't have the time or patience any more...

Regards, Mark.