[cumbria_lug] Ubuntu 9.04 -> 9.10 upgrade failure warning

Dave Murphy dave at schwuk.com
Thu Nov 5 13:55:30 UTC 2009

On 5 Nov 2009, at 11:33, trevor at haven.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I am back on line after dallying in the text-psychedelic world of
> 9.10, I guess it shows the need for some changes to 'apt-get' since
> we can 'upgrade' it shouldn't be too difficult to implement a
> 'downgrade' option.  Come to that wouldn't it be an idea if we could
> just do...

Downgrade has been discussed in the past, and is difficult to achieve.

> apt-get install [Debian|Fedora|Ubuntu|Slackware|Mandriva|RHEL|
> Kubuntu|Windows7]

Assuming said command would fire up a VirtualBox instance, I don't see
a problem... :)

> Perhaps we should organise a 'Ubuntu9.10 upgrade rescue party'?

An idea perhaps...

> Mark observed that some think 3rd party apps may have a hand in this
> debacle, I must put my hand up and say I do install software on my
> computer, it makes it useful.

Possible.

I'm guessing from your message that Problem Exists Between Drivers And
Graphics Card. I'm assuming you've tried the nv, or even vesa drivers
and seeing if a LiveCD works on your machine?

> I'm even considering abandoning Nvidia for ATI if I can check that
> ATI drivers work on large mem 64 bit systems, Nvidia drivers
> currently kill my system. If I do I have a 1GB PCIe SLI-ready
> twinview nvidia card I'll be getting rid of.

Never had a problem with my NVIDIA card (and yes, unsurprisingly, I'm
running Karmic upgraded from Jaunty) and the proprietary drivers. I've
heard something about non-NVIDIA-yet-still-3D-enabled drivers, but not
looked into them.

--
Dave Murphy - http://schwuk.com
Get in touch - http://schwuk.com/contact