[cumbria_lug] DEC Legacy Event, April 17th-18th 2010, Windermere

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 13:53:06 UTC 2009

Hey LUG subscribers,

It's been very quiet lately - hopefully that means you've all managed to
upgrade to 9.10 without a hitch ;)

This email is just to let you know that I'm organising an event in
Windermere next year that hopefully should be of interest to some of
you. It'll involve a lot of DEC hardware (both old DEC kit, middling
Compaq kit and new HP kit!) and although it doesn't directly relate to
Linux I'm hoping that there will be some focus on the development of
Unix and the part that DEC had to play. I'll be demonstrating my Itanium
ZX6000 workstation running Debian, and if there's interest we could look
at Linux on Alpha hardware such as the DS10L (which is a very capable 1U
rackmount alpha server that can be picked up for peanuts).

If you know anyone else who might be interested please let them know.
There will be the obligatory drinks on Saturday evening and possibly a
walk on Sunday. Would be good to finally meet some of you.

Regards, Mark.

DEC Legacy Event, April 17th-18th 2010, Windermere, UK

The event venue has now been booked and I would therefore ask you to
make a note of the event date, the weekend of April 17th & 18th 2010, in
your diary. The event will take place at the Marchesi Centre,
Windermere, UK from 09:00 to 17:00 on each day.

Website URL: http://declegacy.org.uk

The website will be updated with information about speakers and
equipment that will be making an appearance. You can now purchase a
ticket online using paypal or by cheque. Any proceeds after expenses
will go to the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park. I highly
recommend booking accommodation, if required, in good time as it does
generally get booked up quickly in such a popular tourist destination.
The Cumbria Tourist Site is http://www.golakes.co.uk/

Don't forget that this is a great place for partners and children to
enjoy!

If you know of anyone else that might be interested please feel free to
forward this email on to them or ask them to contact me directly so I
may update them of progress.

If you are interested in making a presentation on any aspect of
DIGITAL's company, hardware, software or anything else you think would
make an interesting talk please do contact me so we can discuss it
further.

If you do not want to receive further emails please let me know and I
will remove you from this mailing list.

Regards,
Mark Wickens