[cumbria_lug] Canon Printer issue and meeting

John Patterson john at johnpatterson.plus.com
Fri Jul 16 21:12:42 UTC 2010

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I have two Canon Printers:

1) i-sensys LBP5000 laser.
2) Pixima MP460 MFP inkjet

LBP5000
I know something about the Open Printing website and their list of
printers which "work" and "work partly".  In the past, I downloaded the
Canon CAPT driver from their website and I vaguely understand about
Cups. Common Universal Printing System, isn't it?  It is now quite a
time since I last last attempted to get my LBP5000 working.  It is so
confusing and contradictory.  Canon give detailed and specific
instructions to install their driver but when it didn't work as
instructed, I went to the forums and found that about 80% of people who
did just this could not get their printer working either.  Some of these
managed to get a test page to print but no 'real' documents would print
anything.  When a print was requested from an Application, everything
just sat there sullenly and did absolutely nothing at all.  I couldn't
even get the test to work.  The first person who claimed to succeed gave
instructions to ignore everything that Canon said and then gave lines
and lines of Terminal commands.  Others in the forums insisted only to
use the Canon Australia website's CAPT driver but couldn't say why.
Incidentally on the Open Printing website LBP5000 seems to have been
removed when I looked earlier this evening but I have a printout from it
on file.

Back then I was a very new, newbie, and didn't understand how to open a
terminal.  I'm a little bolder now but having found the Terminal in
Ubuntu 9, is it in different place in 10.4?  I didn't particularly want
to upgrade from 9 to 10.4 but as the Upgrade Manager wanted to upgrade,
generally, I let it which produced 10.4.

Recently, I have found a personal website (Radu Cotescue) which purports
to know how to gain success.
http://radu.cotescu.com/2010/03/20/how-to-install-canon-lbp-printers-in-ubuntu/
et seq
These instructions quite complicated for a newbie so I printed using
XP/Firefox and filed it.

Its all very different from popping a CD or DVD into the drive and
sitting back as in Windows.

MP460
I couldn't find anything in the Linux forums except the general advice
that MFPs are bad news.  A few hardy soles have succeeded in partly
getting some printing function on some makes and models of MFP but for
most its a no-go area.

ALTERNATIVE APPROACH
I would reluctantly be willing to buy a laser printer that is known to
"work".  However, it seems that waiting until a particular printer
appears in the Open Printing website as one which "works", that printer
is usually no longer for sale having been superseded by a "better",
"later", "upgraded" model.  A model that may "works" or may "works
partly" or doesn't work at all.  This jaded view is because I nearly
bought an HP 1600 model which I was supposedly 'reliably' informed was
produced in the same far-eastern factory and was identically to the
LBP5000 except for cosmetic changes.  On the Open Printing website this
was only rated as "works mainly" despite the general belief that HP are
generally okay on Linux.

Sorry for the rant.  As you can see, I'm a tad frustrated.

Thank you so very much for your interest.  I will be pleased to try
anything that you suggest.

John Patterson
Penrith

BTW the Amiga wasn't mine. It was a good friend (no longer living) who
was attempting to do video editing using various types of Amiga but to
him, none were powerful enough for the job.  At that time he ran a small
(retirement) business hiring out (analogue) camcorders for weddings and
other special events (DIY style).  He wanted to offer video titling
services to the professional video industry.  He did this but not on an
Amiga. He gradually moved on to on multi-thousand £ professional
equipment.  Before he died he was an agent, selling this professional
kit very successfully. He was about 70 when he started all this as a
retirement business just to keep him interested after being a house
builder.  His interest in photo started as an aerial photographer in the
RAF before his house building began.
I am little embarresed to tell that I was using a Commodore 64 and later
a Commodore 128 before moving to my first PC, an Elonex 386.