[cumbria_lug] Making the leap...

Barry Drinkwater barry.drinkwater at gmail.com
Sun May 23 11:55:13 UTC 2010

Ok, so I'm on my third 'try' of Linux having originally tried Mandrake way
back (too much like hard work) and Ubuntu (had a problem with IPv6). I'm
studying the Open University's Linux course (T155) on a laptop running
Vista. My usual OS is XP, but that's upstairs and after spending 6.5 years
studying for my OU degree on it (finished a couple of years ago), hidden
away from life, I decided I'd do T155 on the laptop downstairs.

And... Vista is just awful. How did it get through MS quality testing? It
makes me angry when I use it!

I've been running Ubuntu in Virtual Box for T155, but I've just installed it
to its own partition to get a nicer Linux experience. The reason for posting
is that I'm quite tempted to go the whole hog and drop Vista altogether.
However, there are some applications which I'd still need to use. These are
Adobe Photoshop Elements (for cataloging my photos) and Acronis Online
Backup.

So the question is, do I dump Vista and try and get these to run in Wine, or
keep a small Windows partition?

The other alternative is to find Linux software that does the same job. I
know there is a beta version of Google Picasa for Linux - does anyone know
if it's possible to transfer tags from Elements to Picasa?

Regarding Acronis Online Backup, this is used to backup photos, music,
documents etc. These are held on an external NTFS drive. Is it possible for
Ubuntu to use this disk? If so, I could just find another FTP based online
storage provider and use Linux FTP software.

Any help/thoughts most welcome.

Barry