[cumbria_lug] Making the leap...

David Priestley stig-clug at spodbox.org
Sun May 23 12:48:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 23/05/10 12:54, Barry Drinkwater wrote:
> Ok, so I'm on my third 'try' of Linux having originally tried Mandrake
> way back (too much like hard work) and Ubuntu (had a problem with
> IPv6). I'm studying the Open University's Linux course (T155) on a
> laptop running Vista. My usual OS is XP, but that's upstairs and after
> spending 6.5 years studying for my OU degree on it (finished a couple
> of years ago), hidden away from life, I decided I'd do T155 on the
> laptop downstairs.
>
> And... Vista is just awful. How did it get through MS quality testing?
> It makes me angry when I use it!
>
> I've been running Ubuntu in Virtual Box for T155, but I've just
> installed it to its own partition to get a nicer Linux experience. The
> reason for posting is that I'm quite tempted to go the whole hog and
> drop Vista altogether. However, there are some applications which I'd
> still need to use. These are Adobe Photoshop Elements (for cataloging
> my photos) and Acronis Online Backup.
>
> So the question is, do I dump Vista and try and get these to run in
> Wine, or keep a small Windows partition?

How about running Windows XP inside VirtualBox on Ubuntu?
Its what I do for my Windows software (Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop,
Windows XP inside VirtualBox)

While a lot of stuff works 'OK' with Wine - its not brilliant at
everything, which is why I have a VirtualBox Windows image, rather than
a separate partition.  It means I can backup the whole of the Windows
system, or copy the original installation image and try something new,
without interfering with my existing install.

> The other alternative is to find Linux software that does the same
> job. I know there is a beta version of Google Picasa for Linux - does
> anyone know if it's possible to transfer tags from Elements to Picasa?

Google Picasa for Linux isn't a beta - 2.7 is a stable verison (only 3
is beta)
http://picasa.google.com/linux/thanks-deb.html

> Regarding Acronis Online Backup, this is used to backup photos, music,
> documents etc. These are held on an external NTFS drive. Is it
> possible for Ubuntu to use this disk? If so, I could just find another
> FTP based online storage provider and use Linux FTP software.

Linux is able to access NTFS partitions.  Not sure about Acronis - never
used it personally.

> Any help/thoughts most welcome.
>
> Barry

DP