[cumbria_lug] Cumbria Digest, Vol 175, Issue 5

Hassan "Haz" Williamson haz at hazrpg.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 12:35:57 UTC 2011

> Thank you for this help it is very much appreciated. I did create a list
>> with the dpkg command and saved it in my documents, lets hope I will never
>> need to use it. Do you know who maintains the dpkg packages - is that
>> Debian?
>>
>> Can I ask why you have signed with Blackpool LUG - do you subscripe to
>> both mailing lists?
>>
>> Joachim

Hmm interesting, see I usually just keep a text file with all the relevant
packages I want, and simply paste it into terminal if I ever need it (e.g.
sudo apt-get install package1, package2, etc). However that assumes your
using a debian-based distro.

The way I usually make a backup is simply tar up my home directory. Since
most settings I need are in there (hidden dot folders), if I need other ones
I simply include them in the tar command. Obviously there are no wrong or
right answers to this, since everyone does things different. I remember back
in my Windows days I used a Norton LiveCD (of sorts) to make backups, but
this is talking back in the mid-90's. Problem then was that I was using up
too many CD's to keep my backups. Looking back, getting a spare hard drive
would have been easier. Which reminds me, there are a few LiveCD backup
solutions which basically do 1:1 binary clone of your hard
drives/partitions. Might be worth looking into that maybe? I can't think of
any right now, but I'll be happy to look for the ones I've tried and liked
in the past if you like.

--
Regards,
Haz