[cumbria_lug] SGI, was: Re: Hi everyone, I'm new to the mailing list...

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 1 22:20:34 UTC 2011

Hello Haz,

>> I've got a couple of SGI boxen going spare
>> if anyone's dedicated enough to revive them.

> I wish I knew what an SGI machine was! I'm guessing its a server of some
> description, at home I use a DELL server I managed to get for around £150
> (brand new)... does a great job for what I need it for.

SGI built the high-end workstations that built
Pixar & the modern animated film industry.

Like the Alpha boxen in this thread, they were
a decade ahead of their time, but are
now museum pieces :-/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Graphics

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.12/toy.story.html

http://www.sgistuff.net/funstuff/hollywood/index.html
http://www.sgistuff.net/

They had a second shot of glory with racks
of GNU/Linux boxen...

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/11/5541.ars

I'm getting rid of a lot of old kit, if anyone
wants it to start a hackerspace pls let me know :)

http://groups.google.com/group/NW-hack-space

 - Richard