[cumbria_lug] Ubuntu taking over the world

Hassan "Haz" Williamson haz at hazrpg.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 10:05:13 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 13:14, Joachim Jahn <joachim.jahn at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to say thank you for the great advice I received from all of you for
> doing my backup and I have now created a list of my dpkg packages and sync
> my home folder once a week to a 4GB SD. Pictures and other stuff also go to
> the cloud via dropbox = easy access on my HTC phone.

I'm glad to hear you've managed to get something that fits your needs dude,
seems the advice we all gave came to good use :).

P.S. *To all* what is your best Linux Magazine to buy. I currently buy Linux
> Format, but sometimes the articles aren't       quite as in depth as I would
> like them.

I use to really like LXF at one point, and never missed an issue... but as
my technical knowledge expanded over the years I've found them pointless,
and just good for reading about what's new in the application side of
things. I still buy one every now and then however... but for the price, I'd
rather spend some time on a website and either donate or click a few ads
then buy a full magazine. I think other than the applications, its nice to
see the new distros and have them on disc without having to download.

Personally, because I'm a big ubuntu fan (well I guess mainly the
debian/gnome side of it, not sure about unity just quite yet... but we'll
see). I tend to find reading "OMG! Ubuntu!"*** works best. Also because I
now own a kindle, I find grabbing LWN****, Linux Magazine*****
 & Linuxdevices****** using calibre******* very handy.

I'm planning on making a calibre recipe to grab "OMG! Ubuntu!"... so watch
this space if it interests you :).

Hope these help ya out squire :).

** **http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/*
*** http://www.lwn.net/*