[cumbria_lug] Separate user groups

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 12:38:46 UTC 2011

Joachim wrote:

>I don't think we should have separate user groups but I do agree
>there should be maybe a meeting in the south lakes i.e Barrow area
>(pure self interest ;-) only ) and one in the North Lakes i.e.
>Carlisle or Penrith.

I agree. As a mailing list we don't need to get too parochial, that
just ends up with people on two lists and cross posting. But from a
practical point of view, you can't (in general) expect people to
travel from the other end of the county for get togethers.

>Simon - Thanks for the offer for the lift to the ManLUG, I might
>take you up on this in the future. At the moment the miss is
>complaining that I spent to much time on the computer and I don't
>think she would be too happy me leaving her for a full day for a
>Linux meeting.

It might be dangerous to suggest she comes too - we can drop her off
at the Arndale centre and pick her up 3 hours later. Since I don't
know what sort of person she is, it might be taken as an insult, or
might be dangerous to your bank balance 8-O

>Does anyone know a good way to backup your system, mainly packages
>installed and settings? i back up my files already to a SD card and
>additionally to dropbox. I just want to know a way of quickly
>recovering my system if I bugger it up again. Not Linux fault
>usually my fault changing some settings or something.

Well I have several methods. The one I've settled on at work is to
have a separate virtual machine hosting a store that the others sync
files to with rsync (easy to set up in server mode). That gives me a
central store from which I can rsync a copy back to any bare metal*
or virtual machine** if I need to.
* Booted of a suitable live CD
** Can be done from the host by creating and mounting the filesystems.

I then create historical copies from that with storeBackup.
http://storebackup.org/

At home I've been using rdiff-backup
(http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/), but I prefer storebackup.

rdiff-backup gives more compact backups, but the archive isn't really
accessible without the rdiff-backup tools. storebackup basically
makes each snapshot a complete image of the source - using hard links
for files that haven't changed. storebackup can also delete interim
backups whereas rdiff-backup can't*** as it would break the reverse
diffs it uses.
*** I think

With some scripting you could roll something similar to storebackup
with rsync - using rsync's ability to hard-link files to a another
directory where the file hasn't changed.

Oh yes, and just for good measure, I also use Retrospect at home, and
backup most of my linux boxes with that as well as my Macs.

--
Simon Hobson