[cumbria_lug] Separate user groups

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:29:41 UTC 2011

Hi Joachim, everyone.

You could always use clonezilla to create an image of your computer, then
just regularly update the image, thats what I do most of the time.

Another idea, and its a quick way to backup a list of all the packages
installed into an Ubuntu / Debian machine would be
*
dpkg --get-selections > FILENAME.txt*

This command will run dpkg and using standard output, generate a list of all
the packages installed on your computer.

To restore, you need to run the command
*
dpkg --set-selection < FILENAME.txt && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade*

This will then install all of your packages, upade the repo, and upgrade
your box to the latest versions.

All the best

Les Pounder
Blackpool LUG