[cumbria_lug] 28th August CLUG Meeting

Hassan "Haz" Williamson haz at hazrpg.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 09:10:02 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,

I did the same initially before I started writing an e-mail to the group.
However when I first signed up to the mailing list, barely anyone was saying
anything... so I took the plunge and wrote an introduction letter, and
things sort of started rolling again. Which was good.

Sometimes its hard to get out of Windows as far as day jobs are concerned,
its just how most business work, but its good to see another fellow
Linux enthusiast in the area.

To be honest, I wouldn't call myself an expert at Linux either, over the
last year I've only just started using Linux exclusively on my home systems
- I do have Windows in dual-boot, however I haven't actually logged into it
for over 8 months now (and kinda dreading to see what would happen if I
do!). Thing I've found with Linux so far is, the more you start to scratch
through layers... you start to get more excited about what else it can offer
you.

I don't think anyone can ever be a full expert on it, because the more power
you find you have ... the more you feel like you knew nothing, and want to
learn more! I do write my mini-adventures I have with Linux on my blog
whenever I can (feel free to have a look!). Mainly because it might help
others, and also because its like a mini-journal/backlog of things I've done
that I can later refer to if I ever forget anything. At the moment I've been
learning to do bash scripts, and so far the more I learn with that, the more
my life becomes easier to do repetitive tasks! Since I can just make a
script to do the work for me. The last script I did was basically to give me
different profiles in Google Chrome, since it doesn't have one by default
like Firefox - but I prefer using Chrome.

Well like I mentioned in my previous e-mail, I don't mind doing some
workshops if people are interested. If there's anything you'd like to learn,
just let me know and we'll see what we can come up with for the next meet.
Likewise, if there's anything you have problems with too... I'm sure we
could arrange something to try and go through them to make life
better/easier.

Yes, as far as I'm aware, you are correct... the next meet is on the 18th.
Also, the lodge is open to all of us who are on the CLUG mailing list on the
days the meets are running, so you don't need anything special to come in
and join us - I'm sure Damian can confirm this (since he's the one who's
organised this space for us).

Anyways, I'll wrap this up... Nice to meet you Andrew, and hope to see you
at the next meet. :)

--
Regards,
Haz

Blog: http://www.hazsoft.co.uk/
Lauchpad: https://launchpad.net/~hazrpg

P.S. I should really learn to write shorter e-mails! :P