[cumbria_lug] 28th August CLUG Meeting

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 09:20:10 UTC 2011

Yes, scripting has always been a *killer feature* for
me when it comes to Linux. I prefer OpenVMS DCL to bash, but there is
rarely a time when I have to resort to custom code when scripting under
linux, the set of tools that have been built over the years pretty much
cover everything.

For example, I have a script which transcodes the HD video from my
camcorder into both DVD and Web quality automatically. I even set it up
for a while so that simply copying the files to the server would kick off
the process.

I also created my own code to take a directory of images and create a
gallery and push it out to the website with the same look and feel. It's
all good stuff, and you take the pain up front getting the scripts
working, after that it's all plain sailing.

After all, what are computers for if not to take to drudgery out of our
lives.

I'll try and make the 18th for a change. What are the facilities like for
bringing along kit? I have threatened to show up with a VAX before now,
just to provide some perspective of what was possible 20 years ago.

Regards,
Mark.