[cumbria_lug] 28th August CLUG Meeting

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 12:08:41 UTC 2011

Hassan \"Haz\" Williamson wrote:

>I don't think anyone can ever be a full expert on it, because the
>more power you find you have ... the more you feel like you knew
>nothing, and want to learn more!

Yup, I'm finding I don't know an awful lot these days :D

>At the moment I've been learning to do bash scripts

Ahh, been "bash"ing myself most of this week. Brushing up on the
small print difference between ( ... ) and { ... }, and introducing
myself to the ${!name} syntax for variable indirection which has
vastly helped my latest little bit of code.

A lot of people turn their noses up at shell scripting and will tell
you you need to learn a "proper" language (usually Perl) - just don't
listen to them.

Hassan \"Haz\" Williamson wrote:

>Simon: Guessing you don't live in Cumbria at the moment. Memory
>fails me, but I remember some people saying they no longer did...
> I'm sure you could always make at least one every couple of months
>or so if your interested... plus you could always try and get a car
>pool going to, so that its not that much of a drag the way up/down...

Actually I'm down towards Barrow. Funny, but it's less miles to
Carlisle than Manchester - but it seems a lot longer ! If anyone does
want to car-share, I'm open to that.
Same applies if anyone fancied going to ManLUG.

--
Simon Hobson