[cumbria_lug] 28th August CLUG Meeting

Hassan "Haz" Williamson haz at hazrpg.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 02:02:23 UTC 2011

On 9 September 2011 13:00, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

>  At the moment I've been learning to do bash scripts
>>

> Ahh, been "bash"ing myself most of this week. Brushing up on the small
> print difference between ( ... ) and { ... }, and introducing myself to the
> ${!name} syntax for variable indirection which has vastly helped my latest
> little bit of code.
>
> A lot of people turn their noses up at shell scripting and will tell you
> you need to learn a "proper" language (usually Perl) - just don't listen to
> them.

See, sometimes learning a proper language can help do certain things, i.e. a
full singing all dancing interface... however other times its easier just to
make a bash script, because all your wanting to do already exists in
several, well designed, individual tools that linux/gnu have provided us
over the years. In fact I know many people who make bash scripts, or use
linux/gnu tools, and then wrote up an interface in python to use said
scripts - just so it looked nicer for the user... sometimes this is all you
need! Why re-write something that already does the job, and does the job
well! For example `grep`, I don't think I would even TRY to recreate that,
there's no need... or `sed`... `wget`... `lsof`... `find`... etc... these
tools are fantastic, people should use them! I mean, many before us have
spent years making and perfecting them, why let them go to waste. So yeah, I
fully agree with you - never listen to someone who says "learn a proper
language" - scripting is there to help people, why should we deny them that
right as linux users.

Actually I'm down towards Barrow. Funny, but it's less miles to Carlisle
> than Manchester - but it seems a lot longer ! If anyone does want to
> car-share, I'm open to that.
> Same applies if anyone fancied going to ManLUG.

Manchester is a lot further away from me to be honest, so would be a pain to
get down there... also, Barrow isn't that far away... I've went there and
back a few times... think the main thing is that you have that lovely road
that goes across (fantastic view of the river/trees/lakes/etc)... and then
after you've got the boring M6 up (Carlisle) or down (Manchester). So I know
what you mean by it feeling like its a lot longer than it is.

--
Regards,
Haz

Blog: http://www.hazsoft.co.uk/