[dundee] Problems with USB mass storage device

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 00:42:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 00:04, Fionnbar Lenihan wrote:
> Would like to ask the lists help in sorting out a little problem
>
> Picked up a cheap digital camcorder on ebay (Pocket DV2 from Nisis).
> This has a CF slot and some internal memory and connects via USB.
>
> Thought I would try to interface it with my linux laptop so plugged it
> in.
>
> dmesg gave the following output when I unplugged and replugged
>

> usb.c: USB disconnect on device 13
> hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1/4, assigned device number 14
> usb.c: USB device 14 (vend/prod 0x8ca/0x104) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
>
> So it is detected.
>
> The USB view tool in KDE gave the following info
>
> Mega DV
> Manufacturer: Aiptek  Co Ltd
> Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
> USB Version:  1.00
> Device Class: 00(>ifc )
> Device Subclass: 00
> Device Protocol: 00
> Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
> Number of Configurations: 1
> Vendor Id: 08ca
> Product Id: 0104
> Revision Number:  1.00
>
> Config Number: 1
> 	Number of Interfaces: 4
> 	Attributes: 80
> 	MaxPower Needed: 500mA
>
> 	Interface Number: 0
> 		Name: (none)
> 		Alternate Number: 0
> 		Class: ff(vend.)
> 		Sub Class: 0
> 		Protocol: 0
> 		Number of Endpoints: 1
>
> 			Endpoint Address: 81
> 			Direction: in
> 			Attribute: 1
> 			Type: Isoc
> 			Max Packet Size: 0
> 			Interval:   1ms
>

> Tried -
>
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: CD-R/RW  Model: CW099D CD-R/RW   Rev: 12SM
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: Mega DV  Model:                  Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> [root@localhost fionnbar]#
>
> Since I have a USB CD burner I guess the 2nd entry is the camera.
>
> I have a Zaurus and a USB trackball in addition to the CD burner.  All
> are powered off a Belkin powered hub.
>
> OK so the USB is working as is the SCSI emulation layer.  Looked in /dev
> for anything beginning with "s"
>
> [root@localhost fionnbar]# ls /dev/s
> scd0    sd      sda1    sound   stderr  stdout
> scsi    sda     shm     sr      stdin
>
> I then tried mounting each of these on /mnt/camera with the following
> result
>
> [root@localhost fionnbar]# mount /dev/sda /mnt/camera
> mount: No medium found
> [root@localhost fionnbar]#

Yeah... /dev/sda means the whole of the first SCSI device, rather than a
particular partition.

> The /dev/sda1 entry is a bit of a red herring as i created that by
> symblinking to the same file as sda was symblinked to.  Probably silly.

Really? /dev/sda is a symlink to something? what?

Yeah.. not the correct approach ;)

> I'm guessing I might need to use mknod but man mknod is a bit terse and
> I'm not sure what values I will need to enter.  Obviously it will be a
> block device but what about the major and minor numbers?
>
> Would be grateful for any ideas

Strange that you don't seem to have that many scsi devices in /dev,
perhaps you have some sort of devfs thing going on?

SCSI naming works a little different to IDE, in that in SCSI you have
separate name spaces for hard disks, cdroms, tapes etc.

So your cdrom is /dev/scd0 and your CF would be /dev/sda[n]

What you would want to be mounting is /dev/sda1 which you will need to
create with the MAKEDEV script located in /dev

Unplug you CF device.

cd into /dev

I'm pretty sure that sda should not be a symlink, I've never seen it
that way. So I'd delete it along with sda1

now run

./MAKEDEV sda
./MAKEDEV sda1

This script should make the appropriate device files with correct
major/minor numbers.

They should look something like this...

brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,   0 Apr 11  2002 /dev/sda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,   1 Apr 11  2002 /dev/sda1

Now re-connect your CF, and try mounting /dev/sda1 again.

> Thanks
> Fionnbar

HTH

--