[dundee] Problems with USB mass storage device

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 20:13:02 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 18:38, Rob Sharp wrote:
> I may be wrong, as some people on the list know far more about Linux
> than I, but I think more to the point is that the USB mass-storage
> modules don't pick up the manufacturer/device ID. A way around this is
> to edit the unusual devices header file in the usb section of the

It's not so much the id's, but just the general functionality. It seems
a lot of usb devices don't work the standard way and need special cased.

But it does seem that some change to the unusual_devs.h file are needed.
As confirmed here

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1782

> kernel, adding the appropriate manufacturer and device IDs, and then
> recompiling. Not ideal, but it does work. I had to hack the source to
> get it to recognise the card reader.
>
> If that didn't make any sense to you, then it may be easier to buy a CF
> reader that is already compiled into the module...
>
> As I was writing this I thought it'd be best to google before sending,
> and lo and behold!
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06729.html

It seems that 2.4.22-rc2 has everything but the US_FL_START_STOP flag...
I wonder just how much that is needed. It would seem that the Aiptek
Mega DV entry was added post 2.4.21 i.e during the 2.4.22 work which is
pretty recent.

However it is quite likely that your (Fionnbar's) Mandrake kernel
doesn't have this entry at all. This should be easy to check if you have
the mandrake kernel source rpm installed.

The file of interest is drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h search for
Aiptek.

Though you should still try mounting the CF before patching your
kernel... as it seems that everything was good to go and just needed
mounting.

--
Andrew