[dundee] cvs stuff

Colin Brough dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 21:38:01 2003

> On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:20, Keir Lawson wrote:
> > how can i, within a script (.sh), automatically detect whether a newer
> > version of a program is in cvs without actually downloading it.
>
> Hmm.. this doesn't really make much sense. CVS will usually be
> constantly changing.. so there will always be a *new* version in there.

'cvs update' will minimise the amount of download needed - it checks
access times and file sizes in the repository and on your local copy
before downloading anything. I'm not currently using CVS for anything,
but I think you'll get a summary message at the end saying something
like: 100 files in CVS, 3 updated, 1 new file, 2 deleted...

Are you wanting to do something like send yourself an e-mail when
there is something new in a CVS you are interested in, and manually
intervene to build it, without having to make a point of remembering
to do a 'cvs update' each day, and not doing it automatically so that
the source on your machine matches the version of the program you are
actually running?

When I was actively developing on jpilot, I just tried to remember to
'cvs update' reasonably regularly - never bothered to automate it.
jpilot's principal author didn't make updates very often; they'd come
in a glut when he had some spare time, so you'd often get a couple of
weeks with nothing and then a weekend full of stuff!

> Unless your a developer or really need some feature from a CVS
> version... it's much better to stick with proper releases.

Agreed!

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk