[dundee] Constant crackle

dundee@lists.lug.org.uk dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 21:23:00 2003

>  from:    Andrew Clayton <andrew@sol-1.demon.co.uk>
>  date:    Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:23:34
>  to:      dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
>  subject: Re: [dundee] Constant crackle
>
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 23:55, keirlawson@btopenworld.com wrote:
> > My dads just got a new mandrake box from walmart.com.  Evrything with it works fine apart from the sound.  The sound is quite audible however there is a constant background crackling.  In the documentation that came with it this problem was mentioned and it said that the solution was to go into the kde control program and change the sound I/O method from autodetect to OSS threaded or something to that effect.  i did this however it does not seem to have solved the problem.
> >
> > can some body help?
> >
> First of all you need to fix your mail client or use the "Return" key
> occasionally ;)

Sorry. im using the crap BTopenworld webmailer as they wont let me
 send mail via a client unless im logged onto the internet with my
 acount with them.
> Probably what the docs are reffering to is to make the apps use the OSS
> (kernel level) interface as opposed to one of the sound servers like
> arts and esd.
>
> I have a similar sound chipset in my Athlons, that use the same via
> driver. In recent kernels most of the issues with this driver seem to
> have been addressed.
>

> Best thing, to debug this problem with, is just go into something like
> runlevel 3.. so your basically just at the console and no X/KDE/GNOME
> etc is running, make sure you have no artsd or ed processes running.
> Then try using the sound card, play a wav or an mp3 or an ogg with, the
> play, mplayer, mpg123, ogg123 commands etc and see how that goes.

ogg123 produces perfect sound - no crackle
however totem (ESD) crackles with the same ogg

> > the soundcard is a VT8233 using the correct via82xx drivers
> >

> What kernel version is it running? uname -a

output is:
Linux localhost 2.4.21-0.13mdk #1 Fri Mar 14 15:08:06 EST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

if i remember correctly its not the final 2.4.21 kernel but a pre
 release - mandrake like their new kernels

> > keir
>

> --
> Andrew

thanks