[dundee] Constant crackle

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 21:33:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 21:22, keirlawson@btopenworld.com wrote:

[snip]

> > Best thing, to debug this problem with, is just go into something like
> > runlevel 3.. so your basically just at the console and no X/KDE/GNOME
> > etc is running, make sure you have no artsd or ed processes running.
> > Then try using the sound card, play a wav or an mp3 or an ogg with, the
> > play, mplayer, mpg123, ogg123 commands etc and see how that goes.
>
> ogg123 produces perfect sound - no crackle
> however totem (ESD) crackles with the same ogg

Hmm, looks like a mis-interaction between the via driver and esd..

These days my audio plays nice with most things... but there will be
quite a lot of slight variations of the via audio chipset, yours is
perhaps a fairly new one. I have noticed that Alan Cox has recently
merged quite a few via audio and ac97. fix's cleanups with Marcelo.

You could try the latest 2.4.22pre on it (seems to be 2.4.22pre4). Or
try using artsd instead of esd. Or just don't use any sound server and
use only OSS.

> > > the soundcard is a VT8233 using the correct via82xx drivers
> > >

> > What kernel version is it running? uname -a

[snip]

--
Andrew