[dundee] [jtsmoore@revolution-os.com: Re: Screening of Revolution OS]

Mark Harrigan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 13:32:13 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:33:32AM +0100, jim wrote:
> If it was a simple matter of downloading a file and deciding which
> player you prefered it would be fine.
> as far as I can see I need to download files, then compile them etc. I
> just want to watch a movie!. I consider myself fairly computer savy, but
> the average user will no want to be hassled this way, he wants to
> download a program and have it install and then work 123 as easy as
> that. I am sorry but microsoft are a pain in the arse, but windows
> programs are a doddle to install, therefore windows will win. I wish it
> were otherwise.

Compiling is a doodle :) You saw the word compile and "the fear"
kicked in. It's not that hard, it's just different with Linux you need
to leave a lot of preconceptions at the door. However I don't think
you even need to compile it, if you have Redhat they should have an
rpm on the cd('s) somewhere. If you installed the system as a
multimedia system it may already be there, type

which mplayer

or

which xine

in a terminal window, if either of those pops up with a path simply
type xine or mplayer with the path of the file you want to play. Xine
is a little more civilised in that you can so things from within
using a gui whereas mplayer needs you to remember keys.

If you don't have it have a poke around the cd for the relevant .rpm
or use rpmfind.net. It's so long since I used Redhat but I assume
there's a nice gui installer app to help you install that nowadays.

If you still have problems let us know.

Mark