[dundee] [jtsmoore@revolution-os.com: Re: Screening of Revolution OS]

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 20:18:00 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 13:46, Jonathan Barber wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 07:38:46PM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > >
> > > www.dnuk.com
> > > www.xinit.co.uk
> > >
> > > are two...

> > > Hmm, some kind of install shield wrapped around rpm/deb, would do the
> > > trick.
> > >
> > > Though if you have an rpm or deb, it's pretty easy anyways...
> >
> > Unfortunatly the lack of binary compatibility means you have to get
> > the exact right .rpm or .deb for your distribution version.
>
> Eh? ELFs been the standard executable format for donkeys years now on
> Linux.
>
> If you're referring to shared library dependencies then that's
> true, but its a problem that Windows has had for ages as well with it's
> DLLs, and I'm not sure there is a good solution for any platform, apart
> from building everything statically or including the required shared
> libraries with every package, which defeats the point of them being
> shared.
>
> > Plus dependency resolution is always going to be less than perfect for
> > programmes which arn't included in your distributions CDs or a handy
> > apt archive.  At least unless the package contains all staticly linked
> > libraries like they do on windows.
> >
> > Windows has binary compatibility from 1995 pretty much, Mac can still
> > run programmes from 1985.  You just can't get on GNU/Linux.  Which
> > makes it a lot easier on the developers of course.
>
> See above. Binary executables are still compatible, shared libraries are

I'm not sure this is 100% correct, note the fiasco when Red Hat first
introduced "GCC 2.96"

> not, this is true for all platforms. Windows programs have certainly not
> always used static linking, and there was a period when there was large
> amounts of pain resulting from this, mainly because there was no version
> information held in the file name, so different versions overwrote each
> other.
>
> As has been remarked, Linux executables that interface with the kernel
> will not run correctly if they use calls that no longer exist. But this
> is also true of Win95 vs. NT.
>
> To comment on the majority of the rest of this thread (which is
> impressively large BTW) I can't help but feel that the argument
> is comparing apples and oranges.

Well.. yeah....

It's more like this. Unix/Linux is your fruit salad, and windows is just
your apple.

> Windows is provided by a single entity, the software that you get
> off the CD is supposed to be left alone. Change it at you peril. Yet for
> some reason this is supposed to be different for Linux distributions
> [1].
>
> People install random crap, change critical libraries without knowing
> what it is they're are doing, and then blame Linux when it all goes
> horribly wrong, and they're surprised!
>
> But this is exactly the same thing that happens with Windows, except
> magically rebooting the box twenty times and reinstalling the same
> driver over-and-over again is unlikely to help with Linux.
>
> I guess I don't see much difference between the Windows and the Linux
> "experience" (although as a developer, Linux makes things a lot more

Interesting... how many other people feel this?. I certainly don't. I
always find that when I sit at a windows box... I'm very quickly
frustrated... ;).

> productive), both are lacking in the same areas and both will continue
> to, because software/hardware is bloody hard and it's too complex for
> any simple solution.

Examples would be nice....

--
Andrew