[dundee] [jtsmoore@revolution-os.com: Re: Screening of Revolution OS]

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 20:50:00 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 20:43, jim wrote:

> >I have few problems with windows any problems are usually when networking older versions or W2K which is tricky if your not sure what your doing. XP networks very easy. But then I have been using Windows for years so I know where to look if problems occur. I have the problem with Linux that nothing works as I expect and therefore get frustrated that it doesnt work the way I think it should.
> >
> I am getting a little better, just a matter of lots of practice.

Yeah... you just have to get into the Unix way of thinking... when you
do, you'll realise that it really does make sense. (you'll also wonder
how you ever managed before).. ;)

> On another subject is there a modern version of vi I used to use the vi
> command on an old Xenix system in the 80s but I was hoping there was
> something else these days.

Most ditros ship vim (vi improved) these days.

So when you run vi, you are usually actually running vim, which becomes
evident when you then go and use real vi ;)

Theres also gvim, X11 interface to vi(m)

--
Andrew