[dundee] DNS theory

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Sat Jun 14 12:28:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 11:14, David R. Baird wrote:
> OK, up and running with Linux on my old Dell, and DHCP is working
> fine from the XP box, so I can ssh in from XP to Linux, and I can
> ssh and surf out from Linux to external sites.
>
> I understand (roughly) how the gateway machine can handle
> box on an internal network, but what I want to do now is set up
> an http server on the Linux box, and also ssh in to the box from
> outside, and I can't see how this is done. What sort of things
> would I need to set up to allow this?

OK. This is quite simple really. What you need is port forwarding.

You'd need to run some portforwarding software on XP that can forward
requests through to your Linux box.

You can forward port to port e.g xp:80 to Linux:80 or between different
ports e.g xp:12345 to Linux:80

> At the moment, the gateway is an XP box, but eventually I want to
> swap them round and use Linux as the gateway/firewall.

This is of course the better way....

--
Andrew